The candidate will support the Underwriting Unit Reserving Actuaries through both the reserve review process and the Solvency II Technical Provisions process. They will support the Underwriting Unit Reserving Actuaries in the setting of the budget loss ratio for various segments of the business, including evaluation of their underwriting strategies.
The candidate will also support the Underwriting Unit Reserving Actuaries in their responsibilities to the individual Legal Entity Actuaries to rationalize, document and present their results at a legal entity level.
The role will include support for reporting of results to Finance and the second opinion, including review by external consultants.
The Actuarial Financial Reporting team in Dublin work alongside actuarial teams based in London and India and the candidate will work closely with the relevant members of those teams. The candidate will also work with the worldwide underwriting teams responsible for these businesses, as well as interactions with their Pricing actuaries, the Claims team, the Ceded Re team and Finance team.
DISCOVER your opportunity
What will your essential responsibilities include?
The role will involve support and completion of direct analysis of components of the business alongside oversight and challenge of other areas supported by team members in India and London.
Your essential responsibilities will involve supporting the Underwriting Unit Reserving Actuary with regards to:
- Quarterly Financial Reporting: Delivery of quarterly performance analysis for the business. This will include consideration of large loss and catastrophe activity along with emerging experience in respect of attritional losses. The analyses, delivery and reporting will cover both reserves and Solvency II Technical Provisions.
- Ensure all reporting deliverables are met by the team through the Quarter End Process to allow for full consultation with the business and to meet financial reporting requirements.
- Assess, review and challenge all reserving decisions made, along with presentation and provision of management information to the Legal Entity Actuaries and the Global Chief Actuary.
- Lead the consultation with underwriters and management regarding experience in the quarter, implications for financial reporting and recommendation for areas of consideration through the valuation analysis.
- Review and challenge of rationalisation for all material movements and impacts in the quarter across relevant businesses.
- Valuation Analysis: The valuation is completed twice a year following quarter 1 and quarter 3 Actual vs Expected analysis:
- Assessment, review and challenge of the appropriateness of methodologies and assumptions across relevant lines of business, and drive changes where this is considered appropriate.
- Reviewing the rationalisation of any changes to methods and assumptions and the impact on financial reporting.
- Presentation of results and rationalisation to senior management both internal and external to the Reserving team.
- Profitability Analysis: Regular evaluation of ongoing profitability of the business feeding into Business Planning considerations, but also to support portfolio management and strategy within the business.
- Business Planning: The Actuarial Financial Reporting team is a key contributor to the development of the AXA XL division business plan each year, and the Underwriting Unit Reserving Actuary is expected to actively participate in the setting of the target budget loss ratios at the different portfolio level. This will include evaluation of underwriting strategies with the business and their pricing actuaries.
- Legal Entity Support: The AXA XL division write business through a number of different legal entities. You will be expected to contribute to Legal entity assessments and support the rationalisation of legal entity changes and impacts in respect of the business.
- Special Projects: Alongside your business and legal entity responsibilities, you may also become involved in special projects intended to contribute to the development of the Actuarial Financial Reporting team as a whole which could involve development of processes or exhibits or focused investigations regarding new methodologies or assumptions potentially impacting the reserving analysis for all lines.
SHARE your talent
We’re looking for someone who has these abilities and skills:
- Planning & Organisation: An ability to self-manage multiple tasks and outputs and to understand and respond to the demands required to support the Underwriting Unit Reserving Actuary.
- Strong Communication: Excellent verbal and written communication. Capable collaboration and presentation skills. Has the ability or the potential to develop the ability to communicate even negative or difficult messages in a constructive and effective manner.
- Business Partnering: Able to demonstrate knowledge of the relevant business areas responsible as well support the Underwriting Unit Reserving Actuary in translating actuarial output into business value, such that customers are able to understand the practical implications of our analyses, and how the information provided can help them to make appropriate business decisions.
- Strategic Thinking and Tactical Implementation: Ability to invent, design and build solutions to support the Underwriting Unit Reserving Actuary.
- Actuarial Experience: Expected to have around 5 years of relevant experience within the non-life insurance industry, with a preference for detailed technical knowledge of reserving and related areas. Knowledge of ResQ software and excel add-in would be an advantage. Knowledge of Solvency II regulations and developments.
AXA XL, the P&C and specialty risk division of AXA, is known for solving complex risks. For mid-sized companies, multinationals and even some inspirational individuals we don’t just provide re/insurance, we reinvent it.
How? By combining a strong and efficient capital platform, data-driven insights, leading technology, and the best talent in an agile and inclusive workspace, empowered to deliver top client service across all our lines of business − property, casualty, professional, financial lines and specialty.
With an innovative and flexible approach to risk solutions, we partner with those who move the world forward.
At AXA XL we are happy to talk flexible working. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce and consider flexible ways of working for every role. Talk to us about how we can make flexibility work for you.
Learn more at axaxl.com
Diversity & Inclusion
At AXA XL, we know that an inclusive culture and a diverse workforce enable business growth and are critical to our success. That’s why we have made a strategic commitment to attract, develop, advance and retain the most diverse workforce possible, while creating an inclusive culture where everyone can bring their full selves to work and can reach their highest potential. It’s about helping one another — and our business — to move forward and succeed.
- Five Business Resource Groups focused on gender, LGBTQ+, race/ethnicity, disability and inclusion with 20 Chapters around the globe
- Robust support for Flexible Working Arrangements
- Enhanced family friendly leave benefits
- Named to the Diversity Best Practices Index
- Signatory to the UK Women in Finance Charter