Amazon.com is looking for best in class Optical Engineers to help build one of the world's largest and most complex networks. With Amazon Web Services (http://aws.amazon.com), our goal is to become “The Infrastructure Platform” to the world. Our customers demand the highest quality and reliability for their services. As we expand at a tremendous rate it is our responsibility to maintain that quality and reliability. We look for innovative ways to automate and scale our network as we expand, while driving complex issues to resolution.
As an Optical Deployment Engineer working within AWS Infrastructure you will:
· Build and rollout our global DWDM networks
· Drive scaling current DWDM designs to meet the demand of our customers
· Create processes that help operate and build our DWDM network
· Work closely with other Networking departments on new designs
· Evaluate alternative equipment and drive commercial tender process
· Ensure that the DWDM network adheres to the defined network standards
· Review and implement changes on the DWDM network
· Drive operational excellence projects to drive improvements in our DWDM network quality and reliability
· Troubleshoot complex problems and develop innovative solutions day to day on our network.
Our ideal candidate is highly autonomous, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills, strong project management and time management skills and has a successful track record of troubleshooting complex network problems and delivering innovative solutions. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential.
This is an amazing opportunity in terms of responsibility, interesting challenges and high visibility. We truly are looking for the highest quality candidates, so you should expect a rigorous technical interview process.
A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent experience is mandatory.
Candidates should have several years' industry experience in a similar environment.
Knowledge of optical technologies.
Good working knowledge of IP networking fundamentals.
Knowledge of SNMP, TL1 or XML-based management protocols. Knowledge of and experience with major DWDM platforms Experience with optical planning and modelling tools.
Excellent network analysis fundamentals and robust troubleshooting skills.
Experience with the rollout of large DWDM networks
Experience with optic fibre cable specifications (both external and internal fibre cabling)
· Strong Unix/Linux skills and the ability to script/program in a language are desirable.
· Knowledge of L2 switching and L3 routing is desirable